This is a simple trick to boost the speed of your hard disk. If you like to increase your Hard Disk read/write speed without buying expensive software, just follow next steps. With doing these steps you will increase Hard disk speed. It also depends on manufacture and specification of your hard disk. The most speed improvement is visible with IDE drives; however there are reports that this tweak also does good for SCSI disks.
In any case, it won’t harm your system
1. Run SYSEDIT.EXE from the start & then Run command.
2. Expand the system.ini file window.
3. Scroll down almost to the end of the file untill you find a line called [386enh].
4. Press Enter to make one blank line, and in that line type
5. Irq14=4096 (note: This line IS CASE SENSITIVE)
6. Click on the File menu, then choose Save.
7. Close SYSEDIT and reboot your computer.
8. Restart windows!
The speed improvement will be noticed just after the system reboots, any system info. software can be used to check the improvement.